Wednesday 16 March 2016

Reflection 16.03.16


We are in the final stages of the project. After 8 weeks of hard work the end is in sight. We are currently working towards completing the final designs for the content of the folding poster and large format poster and plan to print using the Risograph next week.

Although I am pleased with the progress we have made as a group and out data collection methods I am disappointed in the reception of my initial poster design. In reflection the comments made were perhaps correct, but not delivered in a way that was sympathetic to time invested and my involvement with the rest of the project. That said, I have been able to rework the poster and think outside of the direct representation of the movement into something more abstract. There is a part of me that feels as if I have sold my soul in this project. There is nothing of my own skill set in this, only perhaps some organisational skills. I don’t know what that means or where it leaves me in terms of the development and critical engagement within my own practice, apart from at a loss. I am not disputing that I have learnt a lot about myself that is relevant in terms of group work, organisation, curating, editing, researching, problem solving, but not in terms of my own practice. I thought that distancing myself from my own ‘style’ of work would allow me to develop a new perspective on process and practice but it has made me feel lost.

If painting is what I do, is painting all I can do? I am not sure I can answer that question: not sure I can and not sure I want to. I need to continue to push through to the end of this project and think more about my own practice, what I want it to be, where it can go, and how I can move forward without being static. I read ‘Ways of Seeing’ by John Berger. He talks about painting in a way that is historical and contextual but also accessible. It made me think that painting for me is about the brush, the paint, and the marks. Although that might not be directly evident from my work. There is something more in the act of painting that become meditative for me, transcendental, peaceful. Something creative happens in that space, creative thoughts but separate and alien from the physical act of painting. Painting allows the active synthesis of ideas into the new. It is a space of total peace. So how do I bring the creative process directly, actively and purposefully into the physical process? Perhaps that is my challenge? But I am not sure I am prepared to relinquish my love of the physical act of painting, perhaps it can only exists in that place for me and that is why I am so reluctant to move it anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment